When we find spirituality, or it finds us, the experience feels surreal. We begin to feel like we're walking on a tightrope between two different worlds. We become ungrounded and loose touch with the physical side of life. When our spiritual mission becomes clear, it is even truer. Learning to breathe and to walk between these two experiences until they merge can be a tough balancing act. Itâ€™s easy to choose and get lost in the new experience because it feels so good and so right. Regular aspects in the physical world seem less important and get set aside, many times incomplete.
This tightrope doesn't have the same thinness as the rope we think of in the circus. A spiritual path is actually on the ground and wider even though it feels like walking on air at times. If you step to one side, you engulf yourself totally in the awe of spirituality. The other, the physical world. And because of its alluring influence, it is easy to understand why we prefer to be there.
There are ways to merge the two experiences. Here are seven techniques to help balance the tightrope:
1. Maintain or start new physical activities. Go running, play tennis, take a walk, or workout. Allow love to pour into the tennis racket. This is a neat experience if you haven't tried it before. Allow the physical activity to merge with a spiritual part. Walk with a loving heart, say your favorite poem or prayer, and feel it in each step. Do the same when making beds, running errands, standing at the copy machine, taking the kids to soccer, or washing the car. This chases the doubt away and invites high attraction vibrations in.
2. Caring for others. Take care of your family, yourself, pets, and others in your life. Allow them the amount of space they need to learn, falter (yes, I said falter), and grow. Place yourself on that list, so, set time, and space aside for you as well.
3. Keep financially stable. It is easy to say, "Do what we love and the money will follow." Lean too much on the spiritual side and you stop taking action and the money dries up. This is like wishing to win the lottery without buying a ticket. One difference with balance the two -- the right people show up at the right time. People sometimes think that when you find spirituality, the money just finds you. This can't be furthest from the truth. It means that you will find it easier to attract what you need if you continue to take action. If this is a learning and growth period, it takes massive action -- action for learning and action for the regular action. As hard as this one is to balance and maintain, nevertheless it is feasible, millions of people do so daily.
4. Spend more time planning and setting goals. Manifesting what we want still requires action and planning. Spirituality can nestle us so warmly and lovingly it's easy to set the needed action aside. The level of balance is in the amount of flexibility you allow in the action plan. Complete each action with total openness of all that is possible for what follows. Ask and allow the universe to send easier, faster steps. And be open to see then when they arrive. Ask, trust, and allow the universe's infinite wisdom to send you the answers. They are usually better than anything we usually arrive at ourselves. The tightrope is to balance trust with flexibility and space for expanded freedom and results.
5. Keep on giving. Spirituality is a gift that needs to flow. It can only continue to do so if people give. There are many ways to give and the method you choose will be the right one.
6. Allow room for real people and relationships. Other people ground us and connect us to the physical world. Yet, they must still allow us to evolve. People are another form of giving and receiving -- two necessary parts for good ground maintenance.
7. Receiving remuneration is a gift. Accept it as if it came from the universe asking you to continue the flow. When we receive, water continues to flow into our cup and allows our mission to continue its evolution. Asking for compensation allows both parties to continue the flow. When we shift our perspective and see the need for flow, additional funds to appear.
Enjoy spirituality in balance with both feet on the ground!
About the Author:
Susan Dunn, MA, Emotional Intelligence Coach, http://www.susandunn.cc Coaching, courses and ebooks around emotional intelligence. Susan is the author of "Changing Beliefs, Self-Limiting Thoughts and What to Accept,